THE BEST COFFEE CRÈME BRÛLÉE
with vanilla bean
skip to recipe
WHY YOU'LL 🤍 THIS RECIPE!
- It's elegant but simple.
- It's creamy & smooth.
- This recipe has a ton of coffee flavor!
- It's perfect for dinner parties or date night at home.
find the recipe
- Heavy whipping cream
- Egg yolks
- Vanilla bean paste
- Espresso powder
- Superfine sugar (optional)
full ingredient list
MAKE THE CUSTARD
1. Bring the heavy cream to a simmer.
2. Whisk the eggs & sugar until they're pale & thick.
3. Temper the eggs with a splash of cream. Then, stir in the rest of the cream.
STRAIN THE MIXTURE
1. Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve to remove any lumps.
2. Discard any lumps. You should now have a very smooth custard mixture!
ADD THE COFFEE
1. Add the espresso powder and vanilla bean paste.
2. Stir just until the mixture is combined.
3. Start boiling a kettle of water.
DIVIDE & BAKE
1. Divide the custard between four ramekins.
2. Place the ramekins on a sheet pan and set it in the oven.
3. Add boiling water to the pan and bake until set.
CARAMELIZE THE TOP
1. Once the crème brûlées are cool, sprinkle with superfine sugar.
2. Use a torch or broiler to caramelize the sugar until it's golden-brown.
3. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
CRÈME BRÛLÉE TIPS & TRICKS
- STRAIN THE CUSTARD.
- USE A WATER BATH!
- DOUBLE THE RECIPE FOR A CROWD.
- MAKE THIS DESSERT IN ADVANCE FOR PARTIES.
- CHILL THE ESPRESSO CRÈME BRÛLÉE FOR 2 HOURS.
Add a dollop of whipped cream.
Add chocolate shavings or berries on top.
Top the custard with nuts.
To make this in advance, just refrigerate the custard after it's cooled. Right before serving, add the sugar and caramelize. Enjoy!
HEY, I'M SARA LYNN!
At Sunday Table, we inspire others to find a love of cooking and entertaining through cozy, made-from-scratch recipes. Pull up a chair and and stay a while!
find more cozy recipes