THE BEST BLACK VELVET CUPCAKES
with chocolate hazelnut frosting
skip to recipe
WHY YOU'LL 🖤 THESE CUPCAKES!
- They're fluffy & moist.
- Uber chocolatey.
- NO food coloring!
- Perfect for a Halloween party.
find the recipe
- buttermilk & milk
- baking soda
- black cocoa powder
- chocolate hazelnut spread
- powdered sugar
full ingredient list
MAKE THE BATTER
1. Mix the sugar, buttermilk, oil, eggs, & vanilla in a large bowl.
2. Add the flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder.
3. Whisk just until the batter comes together.
BAKE THE CUPCAKES
1. Line a cupcake pan with paper liners.
2. Divide the batter between the cupcake liners.
3. Bake the cupcakes just until an inserted toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs.
get the recipe
WHIP THE FROSTING
1. Beat the butter & chocolate hazelnut spread.
2. Add the cocoa powder.
3. Mix in the powdered sugar, salt, & milk. Whip until the frosting is nice and fluffy.
skip to recipe
FROST & DECORATE
1. Once the cupcakes are cool, place the frosting in a piping bag.
2. Pipe the frosting on the cupcakes.
3. Add decorations if desired.
Make sure to use
black cocoa powder
for the signature black color without using food coloring. Buy it online or in well-stocked grocery stores.
CAN I MAKE THIS CAKE GLUTEN FREE?
Yes! To make these cupcakes gluten free, just use a one-to-one gluten free flour replacement instead of all-purpose flour. Easy!
CAN I MAKE BLACK VELVET CAKE?
Sure! This recipe will make enough batter for a three layer, six-inch cake. The frosting will easily make enough for all of the cake!
HEY, I'M SARA LYNN!
At Sunday Table, we inspire others to find a love of cooking and entertaining through cozy, made-from-scratch recipes. Pull up a chair and and stay a while!
find more cozy recipes